Thursday, July 30, 2009

THE GERMAN SHEPHERD QUARTERLY

I remember receiving my first issue of “The German Shepherd Quarterly” all those years ago back in the 1980’s. I was impressed by the size of the pictures and pages of the magazine. They were probably about 8 ½ by 11, and so much easier to read than the smaller size magazines that I subscribed to. The articles were well written and I thought to myself that this would be a magazine I would be interested in subscribing to and so I did.

After coming back into the breed several years ago, I found I was writing more and more short stories and articles about the breed and was looking for a place to have them published. Someone mentioned this magazine to me. So I sent one of my articles to the editor and she liked it so much that she told me anytime that I wanted to write an article, they’d love to publish it. The warmth and friendliness of the staff at this magazine was truly welcoming. So I contributed and was published in several issues and then became so busy with other writing projects, that I didn’t get a chance to submit something again. I will definitely write something else for this magazine in the near future.

On the down side, the magazine is only published 4 times a year. Many breeders like to advertise on a monthly or bi-monthly basis, so what I have found is this magazine is an excellent resource for information. It’s excellent because the articles are written by some well respected German Shepherd Dog judges and breeders. My favorite part of the magazine is when there are interviews with different dog kennels. I find this very rewarding to learn about how some of these people got started in the breed. I have seen articles on well known dog kennels, health and genetics as well as obedience and working dog stories.

The German Shepherd Quarterly is published by Hoflin publishing who publishes magazines about many different breeds of dogs. It is the # 1 independent German Shepherd Dog publication in the world with a readership of over 2,000 people. If you haven’t checked them out, you owe it to yourself to borrow a friends copy and read one of their interviews or articles. I think you’ll enjoy it.

To contact them on the web: www.hoflin.com or google them by putting in the words The German Shepherd Quarterly.


My ratings: educational content: (4), lay out of magazine (4), value for your money (3)

No comments:

Post a Comment