Monday, March 22, 2010

WELLNESS CORE PREMIUM DOG FOOD

It looks like a grain. It feels like a grain. And maybe it even smells a little bit like a grain. But it’s not a grain! Wellness Core is a GRAIN FREE dog food! In fact it’s a dog food that’s FREE of many other things as well. Like it’s free of Wheat or Wheat Gluten, Free of Soy, Free of Dairy, Free of Corn, Free of Artificial Colors, and Free of Flavors or Preservatives.

After trying this companies Wellness “Super Mix” dry food a little over a month ago and reporting how much my dogs loved it, I was very anxious to try their top of the line dog food known as Wellness Core. Would I notice any significant difference I wondered? Just what is so special about this food compared to others that line the shelves of the better known dog food stores?

I am fortunate that my dogs are good eaters and pretty much eats whatever is put in front of them. So getting them to eat this new food wasn’t a problem. But like the other Wellness food, they loved this one as well. They licked their bowls clean and wondered if a second helping was coming their way. I liked that there weren’t any strong odors in the bag when I opened it. The dog food itself is a small kibble so it’s easily digested.

So just what’s so special about this premium food? Well besides not adding all of those unnecessary ingredients that I mentioned in my first paragraph, I like a food company that adds probiotics to their food. If you read this blog enough, you know how much that means to me. The German Shepherd Dog can have digestive problems so when a company addresses this by adding probiotics, then I know that they are concerned about the health of our dogs. The one thing that I noticed within a week of feeding this food was the dog’s stools. They were well formed and they were hard. No soft stool at all, so clean up was a breeze. That is always an added bonus for me.

Now lets look a little further about why this Wellness Core grain free dog food is recommended by “The Dog Food Journal.” Could it be because it’s All-Natural With added Vitamins, Minerals and Taurine , or because of it’s higher, not extreme levels of protein, or that it has moderate fat & calories, also it has controlled minerals, lower carbohydrates , preventative health benefits or maybe it’s because it has a delicious taste from higher meat content. I believe that it’s all of these things combined in one dog food.

Wellness CORE is based on the raw feeding philosophy of providing nutrient-rich, high-quality meat to a dog's diet. Each grain-free recipe is packed with meat from deboned turkey and chicken, turkey meal, chicken meal, whitefish meal and chicken liver along with a proprietary blend of fruits, vegetables, oils and botanicals that nurture your dog to the core.

I tried my dogs on the Core original formula and this is the ingredients that it contained. Deboned Turkey, Deboned Chicken, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Potatoes, Dried Ground Potato, Tomato Pomace, Natural Chicken Flavor, Canola Oil, Chicken Liver, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Kale, Broccoli, Spinach, Parsley, Apples, Blueberries, Vitamins & Minerals, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Products, Rosemary Extract.

The crude protein is 34 and the crude fat is 14. I didn’t feel that the higher protein level was too extreme as I’ve seen other companies that go up to 42% crude protein or higher. I felt for a high quality product like this 34% wasn’t excessive especially for show dogs or athletic obedience and working dogs. I feel it would be too high for puppies and even the company’s website recommends feeding this food to dogs that are over a year old.

The Wellness Core brand contains 80% more meat than other dry dog foods made from grains and being that the dog is a carnivore, this makes this dog food that much more appealing. I would venture to guess that the fussy eaters would enjoy this food immensely because of its high meat content.

After trying this companies two top selling brands of dog food, I am confident that the Wellness lines of canine food have the best interest for our dog’s health and well being. My dogs did very well on it and after all, if they are happy, then I am happy. Did I tell you how good their stools were?

Wellness Core is on the pricey side of the spectrum when it comes to dry dog food. However, if you look at the ingredient label again, you are not spending money on a food that is loaded with grains. Your money is being well spent on a high level of meat ingredients. The saying, “You get what you pay for” would be well suited for this excellent line of grain free products!


My rating:  Wellness Core dry dog food quality: (4)


From the book: "Dogs: The Ultimate Care Guide: Good Health, Loving Care, Maximum Longevity"......Reap the knowledge and wisdom from more than 100 veterinarians, groomers, trainers, etc.......Discover:
* Why changing your dog's food bowl might make him healthier (page 236)
* How to stop fleas for good (page 325)
* Premium foods-- are they worth the extra cost? (page 216)
* A complete guide to the top 50 breeds (page 17)
* A toy that's guaranteed to stop barking (page 144)
* Why dogs stick their heads out car windows (page 202)
* How to teach your dog to wave-- and other fun tricks (page 134)

No comments:

Post a Comment