Monday, May 3, 2010

HALO (purely for pets) DOG FOOD AND OTHER NATURAL PET PRODUCTS

I’ve been watching this brand of dog food for awhile now. I always wanted to give it a try for my dogs because I really liked the ingredients in this food. So recently I tried their dry dog food as well as their canned dog food. The first thing I noticed with this company’s dry food is the wonderful smell of the product. It’s not overwhelming. It doesn’t smell unusual, but what it does smell like is human FOOD! It smells that good! If it smelled good to me, I knew that it smelled good to my dogs as well. It made me realize that the excellent ingredients in this dog food made it smell the way that it did! This made me confident that I was feeding my dogs a top quality food. Halo is a holistic natural dog food.

Let’s take a look at the ingredients in the dry food. It comes in two varieties – Wholesome Chicken and Wild Salmon. I used the chicken formula and here are the ingredients.

Chicken, Eggs, Pea Protein, Oats, Vegetable Broth, Pearled Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Whole Peas, Chicken Liver, Salmon, Flax Seed, Salmon Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Pea Fiber, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Green Beans, Carrots, Cranberries, Zucchini, Alfalfa, Inulin, Calcium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Salt, Vitamins (Folic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Bitartrate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin), Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium longum, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus plantarum.

I tried all three varieties of the canned food which comes in beef, chicken and salmon. Here are the ingredients in the beef formula.

Beef, beef liver, broth, carrots, green beans, yellow squash, zucchini, green peas, mustard greens, celery, water (sufficient for processing), dried kelp, calcium citrate, flax seed meal, oats, pumpkin, sweet potato, declaim phosphate, ascorbic acid.

When you open up a can of this company’s food, you actually can see the chunks of vegetables in their product. Again the food smelled excellent.

Their products never contain artificial colors, flavors or preservatives, nor does it contain rendered meat, poultry, fish, and animal or plant meals. Speaking of ‘meals” one of the things that stuck out for me was the fact that they didn’t use any “meal” in their products (chicken meal, beef meal) etc. Practically every dog food out there has some sort of meal listed on their ingredient label. This company’s does not!

The Halo Company points out some interesting things about using “meal” in dog foods. I already knew that “by-products” was a big no-no in dog food, but I didn’t know too much about using “meal” in a dog food. This is what Halo has to say about using chicken meal in a dog food.

Legally unfit for human consumption.
Subject to only the less-stringent animal food safety standards.
May contain animal products: diseased animals, animals that were dying prior to butchering, animals that were dead prior to butchering, and disabled animals that may carry more infections. Halo does not use rendered meats. They do not use restaurant waste, supermarket waste, meat processing facility waste or packinghouse waste. When a meal product is used in a dog food it is not subject to testing for quality standards or nutrient levels which may vary widely from batch to batch. Halo dog foods meets FDA safety and quality standards for human food.

In doing research on this company, I didn’t know that they have been in the business for the last twenty years. I thought that they were a relatively newer company. Their commitment to the health and well being of our animals through wholesome, natural, quality pet products is unparalleled.

I also treated my three dogs to some of this company’s Live-a-Littles 100% Freeze-Dried Chicken Breast Protein Treats. Did they like them? They gobbled them up. I kept them in the refrigerator like the package suggests and it provided my girls with a cool snack for these hot humid days that we have been experiencing in New York. This is a high protein, low carb snack that my dogs sat waiting impatiently for me to open the refrigerator for!

The Halo Company believes in treating your dog with the best natural products inside and out. They make supplements and cleaning supplies as well. I tried their Vita-Glo “Daily Greens.” This nutritional product helps to maintain your pet's nutritional balance, digestion, blood purity, urinary tract strength, cell efficiency and stamina. It comes in a convenient tablet form and the dog eagerly takes them without having to hide them in their food.

Their new Holistic Clean Super Stain and Odor Remover I used the other day on my rug for a spot of blood and then for muddy paw prints after all the rain we just had. This product comes in a spray bottle. It has a pleasant smell when you first use it. However, once you spray the spot and wipe it clean, the smell disappears which I liked. Some products that I’ve used in the past leaves a lingering smell which I don’t like. I don’t want my house smelling of chemicals. I just want it to smell clean. This is an all natural, biodegradable solution with double-strength naturally occurring enzymes to eliminate really tough pet stains and odors…….and it does! It is non-toxic, non-polluting, no detergents, alcohol or phosphates. It was awarded the US Environmental Protection Agency “Designed for the Environment” label which distinguishes products that are safer for people and the planet.

You can check out this company’s whole line of holistic dog and cat products on their website at: www.halopets.com/ If you sign up for their newsletters, they normally include money saving coupons for their products. It is a pricier product so the coupons come in handy. One would expect to pay more for a holistic natural product anyway. You can order their products on line and Petco as well as some independent pet stores carries their products. They have a store locator on their website.

I am very happy with the outstanding quality of this company’s products from their dog food and snacks to their vitamins and stain and odor remover environmental friendly products. Also this is a very friendly company and has shown me that they put our pets first and foremost. You owe it to yourself and most importantly your dog to check out this company’s outstanding products.  As for my dogs, they loved it and never left a morsel behind.  Their stools were excellent as well.   Happy pets and happy owners make for a happy company! Way to go Halo!

My rating:  quality of food:  (4), quality of supplements: (4), quality of odor remover: (4)

No comments:

Post a Comment