Friday, February 26, 2010

THE WELLNESS SUPER 5 MIX DRY DOG FOOD

The Wellness recipe for dogs was first introduced in 1997, but the company began doing research in the early 1990’s by working with a team of animal nutrition experts, veterinarians and scientists to develop their brand of dog food that they would be proud to put their name on. They created a food that was nutritionally balanced and contained only whole foods with no wheat, corn, soy, preservatives, artificial colors and flavors. The company’s philosophy is food is the first step to a long, happy and healthy life and a proper diet can be a preventative step to combat future ill-health.

Recently I had the opportunity to try one of this companies top sellers; Wellness Super 5 Mix. Their Super5Mix recipes represent a synergistic combination of natural ingredients. This food contains natural, premium ingredients which include pure protein sources and wholesome grains. Then they combine them with their unique mix of complementary nutritional supplements. They call it their 5 for Life Supplement System. They add fruits and vegetables for their antioxidant power, phytonutrient rich botanicals and herbs for wellbeing, and utilize omega-fatty acids for cellular function. They also include essential vitamins, chelated minerals and active probiotic cultures. Anyone who has been reading my blog knows that I am a big fan of probiotics especially for the sensitive digestive track of the German Shepherd Dog.

Their Wellness Super 5 Mix comes in a variety of yummy flavors that your dog is sure to enjoy. Wellness uses premium meats: deboned chicken, New Zealand lamb, and ocean whitefish. I chose the chicken formula for my dogs. My dogs readily ate this food with not a crumb left in their bowls. I am happy to report that their stools were firm and not loose which is always a concern of mine when trying a new food.

What does their trademarked “5 for Life Supplement” mean? With the exception of their Whitefish and sweet potato recipe, which is a limited ingredient diet, the rest of the meat varieties contain fruit and veggie antioxidants, Omega 3 & 6 which are essential fatty acids for cellular function and healthy skin, a botanical blend, essential vitamins & minerals for cellular health, immunity and disease resistance and ActiCoat with live active probiotics which are added after the cooking process to promote a healthy intestinal tract and overall digestive health.

Wellness recipes include guaranteed levels of key nutrients like Taurine for optimal heart health and a combination of Glucosamine and Chondroitin to promote joint health. Calcium, Phosphorus, Vitamin E, Beta Carotene & Lycopene are also at guaranteed levels.

The first eight ingredients in the Chicken formula that I chose for my dogs are: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Tomato Pomace, Rye Flour and Canola Oil. The protein level is 22 and the fat level is 12 so this made me feel positive about this food as well. The protein level wasn’t very high and I liked that.

Every year, the Whole Dog Journal, a respected guide to natural dog care, reviews dry dog foods and compiles the "Approved Dry Dog Foods" list. For 10 years Wellness has made the list and they are proud they made this list again this year.

The Wellness Company is so sure that your dog will love their food that if for any reason that he doesn’t, you can get a full refund of your money. Now that’s what I like to see is a company that stands behind their products. They know that if your dog is happy then the consumer is happy and happy customers are life long customers.

I was hoping to be able to review this company’s grain free product called “Core,” but I haven’t gotten a chance to try this yet. I hope to in the near future and at that time I will do a review on that one as well. For now though, my dogs and myself were very happy with the Wellness Super 5 Mix. I think it is a product that will be beneficial to breeding and show animals as well as anyone’s beloved pets. The company also makes allergy formulas, canned food and treats all with the health of your dog in mind. To check out more information about the Wellness brand of dog foods, just go on their website at: http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/

My rating: quality: (4), value: (4)

4 comments:

  1. Barbara - I feed my dogs a raw diet (including puppies), but I do feed puppies dry food for lunch cuz I know that everyone is not going to feed like I do, and the dry that is just LOVED by my puppies is the WELLNESS puppy formula !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you may want to correct the last line. Wellness Pet Food's web site is http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara - I have fed my new GSD pup the Wellness Super5 Mix puppy formula with great results. As she is getting older, I have begun to graduate her to the Wellness Core product, all with good results. I also have an older female GSD who has had Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency and Perianal Fistulas for over 6 years, who I switched to the Wellness Core product over a year ago, and she has had good results, too. Wellness is my chosen brand of commercial food for my dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there.......

    The Core dog food from Wellness is amazing. My German Shepherds loved it and it was gentle on their tummies and it was healthy for them. It has a higher protein content and is grain free which was perfect for my dog who had a nasal polyp (which we thought might be cancer). Cancer breaks down carbohydrates easily to feed itself but it cannot do that with proteins and fruits and vegetables. In fact, my shepherd/labe mix dog loved the food so much, I would catch him sneaking into the laundry room to eat right out of the bag. For the dogs who are having problems retaining weight, this is a good food for them. I also like the nutrient and vitamin content as well as the fruits and vegetable antioxidents. They also gave out coupons inside each Core bag for your next purchase which was great because it is not the most expensive dog food out there, but it isn't the least expensive either. For the price and the nutritional value, I will say that Core is a good kibble product.

    ReplyDelete