Wednesday, September 8, 2010

WHAT STATE SHOULD BE DECLARED THE OFFICIAL STATE OF THE GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG?

Last week I read an article about how some states now have an official dog that represents their state. You know like each state has a flower that’s connected to it or if you are one of those people that like to read other peoples license plates, the license plate will tell you what that state is known for. For instance, Florida is the “sunshine state.” You know that kind of thing. I noticed that no state has made claim to the wonderful German Shepherd Dog yet. So it got me to thinking, which state should the German Shepherd represent and why. Oh I know there are those of you that are saying that the German Shepherd is a dog for all reasons and therefore, should be the official dog of the United States of America! Hey I just made that up and it sounds good to me!

So what state do you think the German Shepherd Dog should represent and why? So far these are the dogs that now represent other states.

Maryland: Chesapeake Bay Retriever

Pennsylvania: Great Dane

Virginia: American Foxhound

Louisiana: Catahoula Leopard Dog

Massachusetts: Boston Terrier

Wisconsin: American Water Spaniel

South Carolina: Boykin Spaniel

North Carolina: Plott Hound

Texas: Blue Lacy

Alaska: Alaskan Malamute

Well because I come from and live in New York, my vote for the German Shepherd Dog is right here in the “empire state.” Why? Well because there’s already a great number of this breed protecting New York by working on the police force, patrolling the subways and sniffing out bombs and narcotics in the airports. They were there on that terrible day that New York City was attacked and the Great Towers tumbled to the ground. Because this breed is used for rescue work and to tackle and bring down predators, I can’t think of a better place for them to do it than right here in New York City. They protect our homeland and security. In my opinion, no better place to do it than in New York! So yup, my vote is that the German Shepherd should be this states official dog!

So tell me, do you think that your state should be the official state of the German Shepherd Dog and why is that? Or maybe you think another state would be better represented by the German Shepherd. Let me know and I will report the results here.


My rating: German Shepherd as the official dog of the United States: (4)

5 comments:

  1. Colorado is my pick. We have a clean dog friendly environment and plenty of mountains, valleys, lakes and streams for the German Shepherd to accompany its owner and to enjoy life at its fullest. German Shepherds work in our cities to help the police, they live in the mountains and are proud to be true mountain dogs, and they attend public functions and also help find lost people. They are a part of our enjoyment of life in Colorado. Definitely Colorado if for no other reason than they are already a big part of this State. Why not make it official. Colorado is the German Shepherd State. That my nomination....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention that they love the snow and in Colorado we have plenty of that too. Yup, Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Bruce that Colorado is a great state for the GSD because of all the outdoor activities he can do with his "people", but my dogs unlike your dogs are not particular "ga, ga" over the snow. They can't wait to get back inside. They're too "girlie, girlie" I guess! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. girlie girlie... love it. LOL I think they would be good representing NY too. Probably because my dogs' breeder is from upstate NY it matches quite well. :)

    Becca
    Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, I can understand why you feel the way that you do. Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete